Monday 2 January 2017

2017 Film Log [January]

As with last year I will be keeping a record of all the films I watch this year. Here is the year INDEX

01. Kubo and the Two strings (02.01.17)
A great start to the year. A visually stunning tale, the old heroes quest with a few twists. It gets a bit preachy towards the end but it is a great story. Laika's style is a fantastic fit for a tale in this culture and the art is top notch. The music and direction is stunning, with all voice actors putting in a great performance.

02. Empsillnes [Short] (03.01.17)
No I don't know what that means. Strange that I think this short could have been shorter. Its got some nice sifi elements but the narrative didn't grab me at all. The animation is ok and just on the right side of the uncanny valley. Overall a decent film but nothing to write home about. LINK

03. Mr Holmes (06.01.17)
A lovely look into the future of Sherlock Holmes. He is in his 90s and retired due to his last case. The film ties two sub plots around Sherlock's failing health wonderfully. As you would expect most of the trademarks of a good Holmes story is present and well shown. Ian McKellen was fantastic as a old and past his prime Holmes, the child actor was surprisingly good. The film brings all its parts together well and makes for a great film.

04. Snatch (07.01.17)
A film that oozes style and grime. Funnier than I remembered and very well acted. One of the most quotable films around. I love the semi liner plot and how it all works out towards the end. Not much time is wasted and some of the finer points are great. The music stuck out more this time around and its all great.

05. Robot on the Road [Short] (08.01.17)
Hmmm, where to start with this one... A very dirty robot is hitch-hiking his way from place to place a writing a blog about his 'hosts' behind their backs. It's cool how much emotion they put into the robot compared to the human character. Fun little short with some not notch artwork.

06. Pacific Rim (09.01.17)
This film could have been a trilogy. It is very by the numbers and almost a text book example of 'rule of cool' but it works. It work very well. The issues I have with it could be solved with more time to show the world more. The acting is good for the most part and the direction is great. The effects are ok but it is helped by the darkness of the film. Don't think to much about the physics.

07. Night of the living Dead (11.01.17)
The birth of the modern Zombie. A very bleak film where the humans and more of a danger than the living dead. The direction is good and the sound track is very different. the are some shocking moments and ending is fantastic. Very glad I have gotten around to seeing this classic, onto Romero's other films.

08. Ghost in the Shell - Arise - Ghost Tears (13.01.17)
It's been a while since I watched the previous OVA's but I'm going to work my way through the last four soon. The team is starting to come together more and they are getting their logistics sorted. Its nice to see a long intro into this world I can see how the would would develop into what we see in SAC or the two main films. Nice little story with some terrifying human bombs again. The look is growing on me.

09. Midori (14.01.17)
A very shocking work of horror. Some of the things are very disturbing and the way it is drawn is very unsettling. All of the animation sis by one guy and though very simple at times the are some very awesome moments of sakuga. I wasn't expecting a happy ending but the one I got wasn't that far off. I like how it showed some difficult subjects and the tragedy of Midori, what I life she had.

08. Ghost in the Shell - Arise - Ghost Stands Alone (15.01.17)
 Do they? One body with two ghosts, how do the metaphysical self's stay separate. Some interesting moments in this one, back to the good psychological sifi GitS is know for. The is something about the sound of Christmas music mixed with gun fire. It's horrifying but made for a great intro. The fire starter is getting closer, only one OVA and a film left.

09. 10 Cloverfield Lane (18.01.17)
Damn that was good. from the eerie begging to the tense middle and the crazy end. Loved how it all fitted together and everything was important. Brutal at times and very creepy at others but that ending was insane. I like how Michelle was smart and resourceful, not the basic I know a thing that helps but more of a savviness then shines through. Great film.

10. Robocop (20.01.17)
It felt like the right kind of day to watch a dystopian film. It's the first time I have seen it in one sitting, I have seen bit here and there and I know most of the film just through culture. Is a solid film well worth watching.

11. Majora’s Mask - Terrible Fate [Short] (21.01.17)
This is how you make a video game film. In just a few minutes it ranges wide variety of tone and tells a compelling tale. This style of film making would work wonders for a full LoZ film. The animation is fantastic and the sound design is inspired. Only part I'm not sure on is the design of the fairies, they look kind of like they do in the game but that was due to the lack of detail back in 2001.

12.Ghost in the Shell - Arise Movie (22.01.17)
And so ends the Arise version of GitS for now at least. I like how its end screen would fit into the first part of either the original film or the first episode of SAC. I like the take on cyborg mortality with the lack of parts as your body becomes obsolete. A strong film that caps off the Fire Starter case well. I hope the is more GitS to come, its by far one of my favourite franchises.

13.  Bob Ross: The Happy Painter (24.01.17)
A very interesting Documentary into the life and work of Bob Ross. I have only seen about ten or so episodes of his show but its fantastic and I've been aware of him by proxy through stuff online. Now it even gets shown on Twitch makes watching it easy and very enjoyable. Its a nice little doc that show all it needs to.

14. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (27.01.17)
Yokohama Shopping Trip, I have been after this for years. I have read the manga two or three times and the world and story is captivating. The gentle and calm apocalypse in which a robot runs a cafe. The feel and tone of the animation is almost enough to put you at ease with the world. I love the art work and how little happens. Less is more.

15. Nineteen Eighty-Four (28.01.17)
A fantastic performance from the great John Hurt who died last night. I have read the book once years ago and was taken aback by how bleak the ending is. Here I have found a small hint at a bright future. This was on my list to watch for ages and I'm glad I did, it's a powerful film.

16. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - Quiet Country Cafe (29.01.17)
It's kind of  sad that this is all of YKK that I can watch, I would love to see a season or two to show just how great the premise is. This came out a few years after the first OVA and the quality is slightly higher but has a more pastel look going for it. I like how we saw two of the iconic side parts to the manga, the plane and the wild girl. I want more.

Best of the month? 10 Cloverfield Lane I think. Strong start to the year and I have a good list going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment