Monday 1 May 2017

2017 Film Log [May]

Onto another busy month but lets see what I can see. Here is the link to the INDEX

01. Split (01.05.17)
Soooooooooooooo good. The are only a few gripes but they are minor and don't detract from the overall package. And it is all there great acting and story with some solid direction from M Night. I will have to dive back into his films more. I love the story and world to bits and the method of its telling is great.

02. Two [Short] (03.05.17)
By the legend Satyajit Ray, the short is a look at two children and their respective toys and the envy of the rich child. It goes just about as you would expect.Shot with no dialogue but the feels come through well and the acting and direction makes it all work. An interesting look back at 1962.

03. I Can Feel Friday by Day! [Short] (05.05.17)
Some shorts are great for all of the story and themes they squeeze into such a short time. But this is just fun. No larger or great meaning just a crazy idea or two that the run with and spin into a good little film.

04. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 [Cinema] (08.05.17)
And if you don't love me now You will never love me again I can still hear you saying You would never break the chain. Marvel has another winner!

05. Attack the Block (15.05.17)
 A fun well plotted film. The London 'gangster' scene is not one I am fond of bit it makes for a good background for a alien invasion film. It works well and on it's small budget dose a great job of looking good. Some very cool sifi moments and it is not ass feel good as it thinks it is.

06. Agent 327: Operation Barbershop [Short](17.05.17)
It's the animation studio name that caught my attention with this one. I have played about with blender a few times over the years and it has always been a powerful tool but the quality of this film is amazing its up there with Pixar. The story is a cool look at the British spy thriller well worth the watch.

07. Prometheus (19.05.17)
This film made me take notes! So here are a few un-filtered thoughts: Conflict??? Floored premise. Not enough background. People in suits waling in large dark space cliche, used a drone!!! TEAM. Where did the conflict come from. Incoherent incompetence.
There could have been more. This is a stupid film that is very nearly smart. It looks nice though.

08. Sintel [Short] (20.05.17)
A very well put together little film. How far would you go to look for your only friend? Some very cool moments and this would be great as a feature with some subtle ageing. The end song is great.

09. The Boy and the Beast (22.05.17)
The latest film by Mamoru Hosoda and it as good as his rest. It starts off with a very standard heroes journey and the master student dynamic that are as old as the hills. The are a few things that make this explore other places and the twist to the story are nice. Very well animated and directed but as good as it is nothing can top Wolf Children.

10. Arrival (26.05.17)
I love a good paradox. This film just got better the longer it went on, or was it just that good from the start? The are some very interesting high sifi concepts floating about; and while it didn't play out large scale as I would expect it worked for the story that they were telling. The look the sound and direction were all top notch.

11. Wallace and Gromit A Matter of Loaf and Death (27.05.17)
Somehow I had not seen this. Its fun and well crafted even if the jokes were a bit to Were Rabbit for my liking. It had the charm of the originals and some very cool easter eggs. I will have to re watch the others now I can see them in HD it looked cool seeing so much detail.

12. Spaceballs (28.05.17)
I knew this was going to be good but damn was it ever. So packed full of references and jokes. I loved it to bits.

13. Spriggan (29.05.17)
It started off as a generic 90 action thriller anime but turned into a thoughtful sifi film. I will have to pick the manga up sometime even if it seems a bit trope filled. Nice animation and music but the direction was a bit flat and the tone was strange. Again having some background may of helped. Not bad.

14. Cream [Short] (31.05.17)
A creepy short by David Firth. I love this style of animation it takes me back to my erly days of web browsing and looking at sites such as B3ta. The short had a cool concept but it is told in a very interesting fashion. The ups and down of a creation by the old media a very pertinent concept.


So goes another month. Best will have to be Arrival by a hair. It's been a good month quality wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment